What is mathematical statistics?
Statistics has a deep foundation in mathematics and probability theory. Statisticians work to develop new analysis techniques and statistical models, and discover properties of those models from a rigorous mathematical perspective. Statistics is also an applied science, it is key to our understanding of the complexity of biological processes, disease, economy, climate and social change.
UNL faculty involved in mathematical and theoretical statistics:
- Christopher Bilder Categorical data analysis, group testing, computational statistics.
- Erin Blankenship: Nonlinear models.
- Bertrand Clarke: Prediction, Bayesian statistics, asymptotics, data mining and machine learning.
- Jennifer Clarke: Computational statistics, non-linear regression, classification.
- Kent Eskridge: design of experiments, multivariate analysis.
- Stephen Kachman: Linear mixed models.
- Walter Stroup: Generalized linear mixed models.